- start fish from room temperature
- cut fish into individual portions for easy manipulation
- season with sea salt on both sides of the filet
- preheat a heavy pan over medium heat until HOT, about 3-5 minutes
- add a few teaspoons of fat to the pan: non GMO vegetable oils such as grapeseed, canola, sunflower
coconut oil, a mix of butter and one of the above, as butter will burn on its own
- place the fish SKIN SIDE DOWN. If fish curls up, press down with spatula for a minute.
- let the fish cook, skin side down, without touching for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Once the skin side is brown and crisp (check after 4 minutes), and the flesh side is mostly opaque, gently turn fish over. Turn the pan off, and let finish cooking 1 to 2 minutes. Test for doneness (see tips).