We rarely steamed fish until we opened the shop. Who knew?! (besides most of coastal and lakeside Asia;) It is now one of our favourite ways to cook whole bream, branzino, perch and trout. Thick filets of lingcod, pacific cod and halibut work well too.
- start fish from room temperature
- place a bamboo steamer basket snugly into a shallow pan or pot. Fill with water (or stock) to just below the base of the basket. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil.
- line the basket with green onions, ginger, galangal, cilantrof or whatever flavours you feel will pair well with your meal.
- place the fish into the basket, being careful to not over crowd.
- cover with the lid. This method is HOT, so typically a thick piece of fish will take no longer than 6 to 8 minutes. Set a timer a little earlier and check for doneness to assess cooking time.