Seared Sea Scallops with Chermoula, Chorizo, Cured Tomatoes & Arugula
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 cup cilantro, washed, leaves only, chopped
1.5 tsp cumin, toasted and ground
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large lemon, juice only
1-2 tsp salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 cup semi cured/sundried italian tomatoes, best quality
2 pieces semi cured chorizo, diced
1 cup arugula seedlings
6 pc U10 dry scallops or 18 pc U20/30 scallops
2 tsp grapeseed oil
sea salt & fresh ground black pepper
1. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the garlic, cilantro and cumin until it has formed a coarse puree.
2. Add in the olive oil, lemon juice and spices. Taste for seasoning. If too lemony, add a little more olive oil to round out the flavour. Reserve.
1. Heat a frying pan to medium high. Once very hot, add the chorizo and cook until just crisp. Remove from the pan, reserving the fat. Reserve.
2. Slice the tomatoes thinly.
1. Heat a cast iron pan to HOT. Toss the scallops with the grapeseed oil and season with salt.
2. Place scallops in the hot pan. RESIST THE URGE to touch them for 2-3 minutes. Add a small dob of butter to the pan. Once the scallop is seared to a deep golden colour, turn over. Turn heat OFF, and let scallops continue to cook 1 minute further. It should feel quite rare at the sides, but warm. Remove and reserve.
Spoon chermoula onto plate, garnish with chorizo, greens and semi cured tomatoes. Place the scallop on top, season with sea salt and serve immediately.