Shrimp with Bacon, Marinated Tomato and Creamy Basil Vinaigrette
Serves 4 as an appetizer
24 pieces wild shrimp, 16/20 count or larger, peeled
1 tbsp grapeseed or vegetable oil
2 large egg yolks
¼ cup sherry vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 bunches basil
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 lbs heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ lb slab bacon, cut into cubes and roasted until crisp
1 box arugula seedlings
1. In a blender, combine the first four ingredients with a good pinch of salt.
2. In a slow, steady stream, incorporate the oil. If the mixture gets too thick, let out with a tablespoon or 2 of water.
3. Taste for seasoning and reserve.
1. Toss the tomatoes with the sherry vinegar, oil and salt. Let sit a good 20 minutes.
1. Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Toss the shrimp in oil and season well. Add to the pan.
2. Let cook until the shrimp begin to turn pink and opaque, about 2 minutes. Turn over and finish cooking a further 1-2 minutes.
1. Layer the tomatoes onto a platter. Garnish with warm bacon.
2. Drizzle with the basil vinaigrette and top with shrimp. Finish with arugula seedlings.