1 large cooking onion, fine dice
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tsp fresh thyme or marjoram
1 whole red chili, finely minced or 1/2 tsp chili flakes
1/4 cup olive oil
5 large ripe Roma tomatoes or 2 cups tomato puree
1 cup fish stock
2 cups white wine, dry, unoaked
1 lb Monterey market squid (including tentacles) cleaned, with bodies sliced into thin rings
1 lb wild Baja shrimp or Oceanwise certified farmed Florida white shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 lbs little neck or Manila clams
2 lbs PEI blue/Saltspring Island Gallo mussels
Loaf crusty Italian ciabatta
Great quality extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
1. Heat a large heavy pot (6-8 litres) over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onions, garlic, thyme and chili. Cook until translucent (about 8-10 minutes), stirring frequently to avoid browning.
2. Add the tomatoes fish stock and wine, cover and let cook at a steady simmer a further 2-3 minutes.
3. Stir the soup base, adding the squid, shrimp and clams. Cover the pot immediately and let simmer 2 minutes.
4. Add the mussels. Cover and let simmer 2-3 minutes, until the mussels have opened.
5. Taste the soup liquid and season with salt and pepper as desired.
6. Using a slotted spoon, divide the seafood into warmed bowls. Pour the liquid over top. Garnish with a drizzle of great olive oil and consume with lots of crusty bread immediately!
To make this soup into a pasta, add the wine to the onion mixture and let reduce by half. Add the tomatoes and let cook, uncovered, 5 minutes. Proceed with the recipe as written from this point onwards.