Pan Roast Fish with Fresh Pea Sauce
4 5 ounce pieces of halibut, ling cod or salmon
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp butter, unsalted
1 small shallot, finely minced
1 1/4 cups fish stock
2 1/2 cups fresh peas (frozen work fine too)
5 leaves basil (mint or tarragon also work well)
salt and pepper
1. Heat 1 tbsp of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Add the shallot and a pinch of salt. Cook until soft and translucent (with no colour).
2. Add the fish stock to the pan. Bring to a simmer.
3. Add the peas to the pan. Cook until tender (approximately 5 minutes).
4. Transfer the contents of the pan to a blender, add the basil, the remaining butter, and puree until smooth. Taste for seasoning. Reserve in a bain marie (or cover tightly and place immediately in the fridge to chill).
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
1. Heat a heavy sauté pan over medium high heat. Season the fish on both sides with salt.
2. Add the vegetable oil and butter to the pan. Place fish filets flesh side down in pan and reduce heat to medium.
3. After 2 minutes, once the fish is a deep golden brown, carefully turn over to the skin side. Place into preheated oven for 4 minutes.
4. Check for doneness using the skewer method.
5. If done, remove from oven.