Mussels in Coconut Green Curry Broth
Serves 4 as an appetizer, 2 as a main
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp shallot, finely diced
1 tbsp ginger root, finely minced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tbsp cilantro root, finely minced
1 whole thai chili, finely minced
1 tsp green curry paste
1 bunch lemongrass, bruised and cut into 2 inch lengths
1 cup fish stock
2 cups coconut milk
2-3 whole lime leaves
2 lbs mussels
1 cup cilantro leaves, washed and chopped
1 bunch green onion, thinly sliced
fresh crusty bread
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the shallots, ginger, garlic and cilantro root. Season with salt, and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid browning.
2. Add the chili and curry paste, cooking 1 minute further.
3. Stir in the lemongrass, fish stock and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and let cook 5-7 minutes.
4. Add the lime leaves. Taste for seasoning, adding lime juice and salt to taste.
5. Add the mussels, cover, turning the heat to medium high. Gently shake the pot, letting cook about 3 minutes or until the mussels have opened.
6. Sprinkle the cilantro and green onion over top and serve immediately with crusty bread.